Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fashion Week Buzz

This has been another joyous albeit busy week in the life of Yours Truly since besides it being the weekend of Halloween fun it was also World Mastercard Toronto Fashion Week

Last Friday, I was lucky enough to be present at the Paraezo Couture runway show of wedding gowns. I was in awe watching the angelic creatures glide up and down the runway like swans in Bruce Dang's  (lead designer of Paraezo Couture) marvelous creations.

Here you can see a snippet of what I saw real time in all its glitter and glory:


After the show, there was no end to my joy when I had a few minutes of Bruce Dang's time and asked him some questions. I had to wait in line of other reporters of course. But it was all worth the wait! Here is our conversion:


First of all, congratulations on such a spectacular show! This was fantastic! I am sure beginning designers will be interested to hear your answers to some of my questions.

Thank you!

When you started your career as a designer what was the one thing that college had not taught you but that you wished you had known before you embarked on this journey of a lead designer?

One thing that I had to learn on my own was stress! You have to learn to be calm, make sure you have a good team to work behind you. If you don’t have a good team behind you that’s fine too. You will just have to do everything yourself. You have to make sure that everything is perfect, the way you want it to be. In the end of the day, even when people say that you are not good, keep trying and work harder. Work hard at what you love and you will get there!

So keep believing in yourself?

Yes!

So in regards to doing what you love, how hands on are you when designing your collection. Do you just sketch, do you participate in executing the pieces?

Right now all I do is I get my inspiration, get all my ideas, fabrics and textures I want. When I get the fabrics that’s when I get the most inspired, from the fabrics!  When the fabrics have different textures I see that can use them in this and that way. Then I start sketching. I sketch one dress and then one leads to another to another to the next, until I get about 80. And then I narrow them down for my collection.

What aspect of your daily work as a designer do you like the most?

Looking for fabrics and sketching. I love to do that. Sketching and figuring our new ideas.

What aspect of your work do you like the least? What do you not like doing in your work?

Things that have to do with stress. When problems arise. And problems will always arise. But you have to try to stay calm and be happy and make your team happy.

What advice would you give to design students who would like to be just like you and have their own business or become a lead designer like you?

As I said before, don't give up. Keep believing in yourself, working hard. And remember that there are a lot of people in this country who will help you. Maybe the Toronto Fashion Incubator – they helped me a lot. Or things like this show.

So you did find support on the way?

Yes, a lot of support.

That’s wonderful! Thank you very much! Congratulations again!

Bruce Dang being interviewed for SliceTV

Bruce Dang also made an appearance on Global Television the day before the show. Here he talks about the inspiration for his collection, about the structure and details of his gowns.


I am beyond wow-ed since not only did I get to see the spectacular creations at an arm's length but I also got to talk to the man responsible for them. There is nothing more inspirational than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment